The HWK is an ideal platform for building networks on campus and with the regional collaboration partners. Regular and Junior Fellowships are currently offered in the four research areas within the scientific program of the HWK:
Brain, Earth, Energy, Society and the area of Arts & Literature .
Regular and Junior Fellowships are appointed based on a specific application procedure:
How to become a Fellow
All other Fellowship categories follow specific rules as stated in the overview below. With the Fellowship program, the HWK supports research and science as well as arts and humanities, benefitting not only the individual Fellow but also the scientific community in regional research institutions.
Overview of HWK Fellowship categories:
Regular Fellowship: appointment based on application procedure; duration: three to ten months. Splitting into no more than two periods of residence is possible. Requirements: Completed doctoral degree; the planned project must fit within one of the HWK’s research fields. Collaborations with colleagues at the regional universities and research institutes are appreciated but not a necessary condition for a Fellowship application.
- Junior Fellowship: appointment based on application procedure; duration: three to ten months. Requirements: a doctoral degree earned within the last five years; otherwise, the conditions are the same as for the Regular Fellowship.
- Twin Fellowship: no application possible, but must be nominated by a current Regular or Junior Fellow! Duration: two to eight weeks. Goal: intense collaboration for the benefit of the Fellowship project.
- Associate Fellowship: no regular application procedure, but available only for regional scientists to work on specific Projects.
- Associate Junior Fellowship: only available for regional junior scientists in the Humanities and Social Sciences, fellows continue their own research at their respective institutions, but meet for various events at HWK. The program also provides funding opportunities, e.g. for conferences and workshop. Duration: up to three years.
- Artist in Residence: suitable candidates are pre-selected by the Artistic Advisory Board and invited by the Rector of the HWK; variable duration, based on the respective artistic project.
- Writer in Residence: invited by the Rector of the HWK; variable duration.